is the official name
of our parish.
In the past Kilcolman had three separate parishes
Kilcolman , Ettagh and Aghancon .The parish gets its name from
a religious house founded in 570A.D , by St. Colman Daire.The
ancient name of this parish was Daire Mor
which means the great oak wood. The parish
lies in the Ely O' Carroll territory. It is situated in Clonlisk and Ballybritt barony.
It is in the diocese of Killaloe.
Old Kilcolman parish
lies 2.5 miles south of
Church of Ireland
service was held every
Sunday in a
Old Kilcolman parish has
17 townlands-Big wood, Boveen,
To– day Ettagh parish is known as Coolderry. Coolderry
means Cúl Doire or the back of the oak wood. The name
Ettagh is derived from St. Ita. Ettagh is a parish in the
baronies of Clonlisk and Ballybritt. It has 6,531 statue
acres of land. Ettagh is four miles south-east from Birr and
between Kilcolman and Aghancon. In the past it had two
large estates. One estate was in Gloster and the other in
Golden Grove. The Lloyd family lived in Gloster while
the Vaughan family occupied the estate of
Golden Grove. The ruins of a monastery
were found near Gloster house. This monastery was built
by St.Pulcherius or Mochoemog. He was
a nephew of StIta after whom he named his monastery.
The Protestant church of Ettagh was
built in 1831. In the early eighties there was no Rectory
in Ettagh. The rector lived in Shinrone.
Service was held once every Sunday , also
on Christmas Day and on Good Friday. The average
attendance at the service was 60 people in Summer
and 30 people in Winter. The Rectory was built in
Ettagh in the nineteenth century by the Rev. Davis, a
relative of the poet , Thomas Davis.
townland of Ballyknockan. It was built by Rev.
James Healy P.P., and dates back to the 1850’s
Fr.Healy lived in Boveen. The King family now live in this house.
In the townland of Aghadouglas near Ballyknockan
Castle there was a church and a mill. Coolderry had
87 householders in 1976. Six new houses were built
in the village . It had a church,a shop and a school.
St.Ita is the patron saint of Coolderry. The hurling
field is located at Coolderry since it is the centre
of the parish.
Ettagh parish has; 22 townlands-Aghadouglas,Ballinlough,
Knock,Newhall.Shrahanbregagh and Tullaroe.
The following townlands are in the Barony of Clonlisk,
Aghadouglas,Ballinlough, Ballyatty, Ballybeg
,Ballyknockan, Cloghan, Conicker, Coolderry, Coolroe,
Curragh, Dromakeenan, Glasderrybeg ,Glasderrymore,
Glebe, Newhall,Killistristane ,Knocknamase, Goldengrove
and Shrahanbregagh .The Barony of Ballybritt
includes Ballywilliam, Glenacurragh, Knock and Tullaroe.
The parish of Aghancon is situated in Clonlisk and
Ballybritt. Aghancon means Agha-na-gcon,the field of the
Hounds. It has 3,000 acres of land. The Protestant church
was built in 1786. The glebe house was built in the
nineteenth century. Service was held
on Sundays and occasionally on holidays. The average
attendance at the service was 300. The rector lived in the
glebe house. There is a Catholic
Church in Ballybritt. The date is uncertain , it was probably
built after 1835. It may have been built before the great
famine or in the second half of
the 1850s. An external cross from the disused church in
Fancroft was transferred to Ballybritt during renovations
in 1982. Aghancon lies 3.5 miles north from Roscrea.
The ruins of a castle were found in Ballybritt townland.
This castle also belonged to the O’Carrolls. To the south
of the castle are the walls
of a Protestant church and to the north of it , is the
site of a Catholic church.The Leap castle is located in
the parish of Aghancon. The O' Banans occupied the
castle. This castle was built by the O'Carrolls in the twelfth century.
The O’ Banans
were sub -chiefs to the O’ Carroll's of Ely. Aghancon
has 22 townlands. The following townlands
are in the Barony of Ballybritt- Aghancon, Aghody, Ballybritt,
Ballycurragh, Ballyphilip, Bredagh, Brown Hills, Coldblow, Danganreagh,
Glascloon, Glebe, Gorraun, Keraun, Killeens, Leap, Lissanierin and Marymount.
The Barony of Ballybritt includes Ballinglough, Ballyrickardbeg, Ballyrickardmore,Fortwilliam, Heath, and Moneyfada.
To-day the modern parish of Kilcolman includes Kilcolman, Coolderry,
and Aghancon. It has three churches, one school,two pubs ,two shops
and a garage. The entire parish contains 16,159 statue acres of land.
Rev. Fr. SLattery P.P. resides in Kilcolman. Rev. Fr.O'Donoghue retired parish priest, lives in Coolderry.