11

Previous

The Templeport Resource Centre

Next

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CAVAN & LEITRIM RAILWAY

back half-payment of its railway dividend subsidy on the grounds that ultimate recovery from a 'foreign' Treasury might pose problems!
On raged the Civil War. During 1921 several narrow gauge lines in the South were closed for a matter of months by military instruction. The C&L escaped this indignity, though it did receive its fair share of visits from armed raiders. Mercifully, the C&L's days as an independent concern were already numbered, and passage of the 1924 Railway Act placed it securely under GSR jurisdiction.
The impact of GSR disciplines did not come kindly to Cavan men, but fortunately old loyalties took most of the strain. Soon the GSR earned further opprobrium, when strict economies were applied. Within a year or so the C&L workshops at Ballinmore were stripped of their best machinery, and subsequent removal of the carriage sheds set in train the rapid deterioration of Cavan rolling-stock. Then, in 1934 the mines around Derreenavoggy were reorganised. Traffic picked up, and four Blackrock 2-4-2 Ts were imported to lend a hand. Despite this influx of traffic the GSR persisted in tabling in 1939 a proposal to close the entire C&L section.
The outbreak of the Second World War radically altered the complexion of things. Suddenly, Arigna's reserves of rather inferior coal became a

national asset. Traffic flourished afresh, and in 1941 two Tralee & Dingle engines were brought in to assist in handling heavy coal trains. With inside frames they were a better proposition than the West Clare and Schull & Skibbereen locos the GSR contemplated sending in at one time. Two more followed from Tralee in 1950 and 1957. The lst, No 6T, despite its comparatively brief sojourn. at Ballinmore, put in a remarkable mileage on coal trains. Unlike the Cork, Blackrock immigrants, the Tralee conscripts were never renumbered.
When, in January 1945, the GSR's mantle was taken over by CIE, Cavan & Leitrim affairs remained comparatively unchanged. C&L coaches were increasingly being written off because of decay, and odd derailments and accidents continued to occur. Traditionally, Cavan men took the latter in their stride. Local courts, however, appeared increasingly unamused.
Ominously, traffic began to dwindle again by 1955,but thoughts of closure were put aside when a new coal boom arose to add a few more years of life. By 1959; however, an

(Continued on page 12)

Click here for        Go to Page  1    2    3    4    5    6  7  8    9  10    Previous
Latest News
          11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next