13

Previous

The Templeport Resource Centre

Next

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CAVAN & LEITRIM RAILWAY

re-boilered in due course, whence their working weight increased from 25 to 27 tons. Then when the lively traffic of the early 1900s begged further provision of motive power Stephensons supplied a more radically designed 0-6-4 tank. Weighing nearer 37 tons, it had a much larger grate, and employed Walschaert's valve gear. Though proudly hailed by C&L men, it soon proved a complete white elephant, for its long wheelbase had an incurable habit of spreading track. Even run bogie-first, the loco still created havoc. In 1923, after many years of low mileage, it was put up for sale. There were no bidders.
Once the GSR took over in 1925, Nos 5 and 6 were scrapped as being unworthy of repair. King Edward followed in 1934. Meanwhile, the fireboxes of the remainder were fitted with brick arches, to take Welsh coal; Arigna's soft product had never really given satisfactory results. One recalls that Mr. Maunsell of the GS&WR and Mr Glover of the GNR(I) were invited by C&L management in 1908 and 1914 respectively to adjudicate on this problem. Both advocated use of other coals.
From 1932 onwards Ballinmore suffered further reduction in status. Now all locos seeking heavy repair had to attend Inchicore for the purpose. Two years later, four Cork, Blackrock tanks arrived on the scene. They were hardly ideally equipped to handle coal trains, though their contribution was welcome none the less. Then, in 1941, came two Tralee & Dingle locos. Two more followed during the 1950s, and all engines and four C&L residents, adding a somewhat bizarre element to the end of yet another Irish narrow gauge railway.

jmmkll

Permission to move a train on to a section of line required a "Staff Ticket" to avoid two trains being on the same section of line at the same time and having an accident.

Bawnboy Rd  and
Templeport Station

The naming of the station caused much hard thought at first. In July 1887 it was decided that 'Templeport station nameplates were to have the word "for Bawnboy and Swanlinbar" in smaller letters'. The following month a letter was received from the clerk of Bawnboy Union stating that the name should be 'Bawnboy Road' and it was agreed that, if not too late, the nameplates should be altered. But too late it was, and the station opened as 'Templeport'. The actual name adopted and used till the 1930s (on the nameplates anyway) was 'Bawnboy Road & Templeport' and the station did not get its proper name until GSR days.

Left  Ballyconnell station 1958

Click here for        Go to Page  1    2    3    4    5    6  7  8    9  10    Previous
Latest News
          11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next