years led to a temporary respite and a mini-boom for the narrow gauge. Coal was proving to be a lifeline. In 1945, a new State transport company incorporating both road and rail transport was set up, replacing the GSR. A period of cutbacks in the rail service followed but still the narrow gauge held out. By the fifties it was virtually dependent on the coal traffic to Irish Cement at Drogheda. However, by 1956, this was no longer viable. It finally succumbed on March 31st 1959 when it finally closed. It was followed three years later by the closure of the southern section of the old G.N.R. For many people in Cavan and Leitrim things came to the end of the line in more ways than one.
Events and Incidents relating to Bawnboy Road
1885-7 Work Commenced on the building of the Station in 1885 and was finished in 1887.
1887 It was suggested that the new engines be named after the Directors' daughters. Local history of a kind was made when the first mainline engine, engine No. 1, was named after a local lady. It was named Isabel after the daughter of R.H. Johnstone of Bawnboy.
Also in 1887, the subject of names gave rise to a problem. This time it was regarding what the building at Cloneary should be called. It was decided that it would be called Templeport with the words "For Bawnboy and Swanlinbar" written underneath in smaller letters. A suggestion from the local Bawnboy Union suggested that it should be called "Bawnboy Road". However, it was too late to alter the nameplate and the station opened as "Templeport". It was changed to "Bawnboy Road and Templeport" until the 1930's when it became known as "Bawnboy Road".
1892 In 1892 an engine driver called Thomas Barber overran the signals at Bawnboy Road. For this negligence he was fined £5. Considering that the average wage for a driver was 18 shillings the fine, which amounted to over a month's pay, seems unduly harsh. Poor Barber was unable to pay the fine and resigned his post with the Railway.
1900-18 Excursions and day trips were a feature of the railway in earlier years. James Duffy of Templeport House ran a coach service from the station to the spa wells in Swanlinbar. He drove a two-horse wagonette on these trips. This service lasted roughly from 1900 to 1917/18.
A lot of excursions involved pilgrimages to the various shrines, in particular, local holy wells. Another event that some might regard as a pilgrimage was