A Brief History
Copsewood College is situated in the south west of Ireland in the country's main agricultural region, the Golden Vale. We are twelve miles from Limerick City, the third largest city in the Republic of Ireland. The college is located in a most unusual geographical situation, in the secluded and sparsely populated country area of Pallaskenry.
During the 18th, 19th, and early 20th Centuries, England governed Ireland. James Caulfield was sent to Pallaskenry by the English government to rule the small rural area on behalf of the King. He built Copsewood House in 1844.
His family left Copsewood in 1919, as the Irish had become quite hostile towards English rule.
The Salesian Fathers (a religious order founded by Don Bosco) bought the house and surrounding property and turned it into an agricultural school in 1920.
Fr. Aloysius Sutherland was the first Salesian Priest to come to Copsewood. He is a grand uncle of Mr. Peter Sutherland, former E.U. Commissioner and Director General of the World Trade Organisation. In the 1940's the Salesians decided to open a secondary school. This was the beginning of our school.
Today, Copsewood College provides education for boys and girls between the ages of twelve and nineteen years of age.