Jerpoint Abbey

Co Kilkenny


Location N9 2kms South of Thomastown, Co Kilkenny




History The abbey was built around 1160 by the King of Ossory, Donal MacGillapatrick, for the Benedictine monks.

In 1180 it was taken over by Cistercian monks from Baltinglass Abbey. The Cistercian order was founded in 1098 in Citeaux. In 1228 there were 36 monks and 50 brothers in the abbey.

The monastery was self-contained, and included its own gardens, watermills, infirmary, cemetery, kitchens, granary, stables and other outbuildings.

At the time of the dissolution of the monasteries in 1540 the abbey was granted on lease to James, the Earl of Ormond by the English crown. The lease included some 6,000 hectares of land belonging to the Abbey, watermills, cottages, weirs, fisheries and a castle.




See also Kelly Priory (7kms NW of Jerpoint) and Kilree Monastic Site and Round Tower (2kms S of Kells)




Lodging & Dining in the area
Kilkenny or Thomastown

Home Page