Drum

Home

About

Church

Services

Schools

Bulletin

Events

Hall

Links

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home

About

Church

Services

Schools

Bulletin

Events

Hall

Links

 

 

 

 


History

St. Brigid's Well

St.Brigid's Church

Drum

A Brief History

The Ordnance Survey Map of 1837 shows the site of a monastic settlement in Drum (Drum Drestan) surrounded by an enclosure. The whole area covered about two hectares.
Near the graveyard are the ruins of a church (probably eighteenth century).  This church was used until the present church was opened.

In 1862 a site was acquired for a new church and it was eventually opened by 1873. 
This church was reconstructed after Vatican II and was re-dedicated by Bishop Hanley in 1965

Interior of church

St.Brigid's
window 

Altar

Back to top

St Brigid's Well

Drum

Close to the ruins of the old church is a well dedicated to St. Brigid.  According to the Book of  Lecan, St. Brigid or her coarb (her hermit successor) was entitled to the Baptismal Penny of the Tribes of Ui Maine.  This was then divided in equal shares between Brideswell, Drum and Cluain Eamhain (Clonown), the three ancient churches of the Ui Maine territory.

In the past a pattern was held at St. Brigid's Well on a certain Sunday of the year where people came, circled the well and prayed. From there they went to the old cemetery where they knelt and completed their prayers.

St. Brigid's Well

 

Back to top