This aerial photograph shows part of Church St and part of Main St at the end of the 1940's.
1. The then Garda Barracks on Main St. In earlier times it had been the barracks of the Royal Irish Constabulary.
2. The Creamery, built in 1910. Today, the creamery has expanded and now occupies most of the land behind Main St.
3. The workshops of the local cartwright, the late Joe Sexton. In the 1841 Census we read of a Patrick Sexton whose occupation was cartwright. Joe retired from the business in the early 1970's and his workshops were demolished to make way for creamery buildings.
4. Known as 'Cassidy's Field' this field was once the football pitch for the local Killeshandra Leaguers GAA team. In the early 1960's it became the site of McCormac Products milk powder factory.
5. Built at the end of the 1940's, this was 'The Ritz Ballroom'. It continued in use as a ballroom until the end of the 1960's. In later years it was used for storage by McCormac Products and today it houses the offices of Volac Ltd.
6. We see a corner of the old churchyard.
7. One of the last blacksmith's forges in town. It was in use as a smithy until the mid 1960's. It was demolished in the early 1970's.
8. Fletcher's saw-mills, which continued in production until the 1980's.
9. During the 1940's Fletchers used these glasshouses to grow tomatoes.
10. Fletchers chimney was a landmark around Killeshandra. It goes back to when there was a flax mill on this site. In the early years of the 20th century Mr Fletcher also generated electricity for the town lighting and also sold it to the new creamery.
11. The Creamery yard. Here local farmers could buy animal foods, fertilisers, fuel etc. Originally, this was the site of the brewery which became the first creamery in 1896.
12. The Ulster Bank.
13. The Town Lake.
14. Castle Street, at the bottom of which are the 'Grand Gates' of the Castle avenue.