The G.A.A. Page
Fr Dan Gallogly, in his book 'Cavan's Football Story', describes the parish of Killeshandra as 'the heart of football in Cavan'.
In 1889 there were three clubs in the parish, Arva Davitts, Killeshandra National Leaguers and Cornafean Tom Moronies. By the 1890's the G.A.A. had more or less died out in the area. However, by 1900 it began to re-emerge. In 1901 there were two teams in the parish, Drumanery Emmets and Killeshandra De Wits. Throughout the next few years various teams in the parish would come and go.
In spite of the disarray among these clubs some
of the players from the area won recognition and played for the
county team. John O'Reilly, father of Big Tom and John Joe, played
in goals for Cavan. The Gilronan brothers, Paddy and Joe, blacksmiths
in Killeshandra, and Tom McClean also played for the county.
In 1908 a new club was established in Cornafean. It was founded by John P. Johnson who had recently moved his family from Killeshandra.
The new club took its players from both of the older clubs in the area, Killeshandra Leaguers and Cornafean
And so we concentrate on these two clubs, Cornafean Naoimh Fionnain and Killeshandra Leaguers.