|The parish of Carrickedmond is an amalgam of the
three ancient half parishes of Abbeyshrule, Tashinny and
The area itself is part of the old Gaelic
Thuatha of shrule (a stream) which merits several
mentions in the mythology of ireland - the drowning of
Eithne giving rise to the name of the Inny - a corruption
of eithne. In the middle ages the area was sub-divided
into one of six baronies of County Longford being named
as the Barony of Abbeyshrule.
|In pure historical economic terms the area was and is
of great self-sufficiency. It is easy to see why the
district attracted visitors and settlers both welcome and
unwelcome over the centuries. human habitation is evident
from a very early era, from the number of fortified ring
forts abounding in the parish. additionally and to
reinforce the point over half of the townlands making up
the parish have 'rath' or 'lois'(forts) as a prefix to
their very names. Stone axes and other implements have
been excavated at Ratharney and are in the diocesean
museum. In 1906 the Clonbrin Shield was discovered in
that townland beside Abbeyshrule and is a prize National
Museum exhibit in Dublin.
The eleventh century saw a monasticism taking a foothold. Between the Cistercians at Abbeshrule and the Augustines at Abbeyderg, at opposite ends of the parish, contemplative life farmed over half the parish. The suppression of the monasteries in the sixteenth century saw the emergence of a privileged estate elite wih the oppostis of landlordism and the peasantry. The area was always endowed with rich natural assets such as pasureland, wooded copses and bogs on the perimeters. Additionally the Inny with its small tributaries provided fish and wildlife. The combination of bog and river had the ingredients for the flax/linen industry. Water renewable energy harnassed mills on the Inny - so eloquently painted by Bulfin in a chapter in Rambles in Eireann. The Royal Canal came through in 1817 and snaked its way around the boundaries of the parish.This new transport mode provided an outlet to a diverse range of produce such as oatmeal and turf to the capital. Some grasped the transport as a way to take the first steps on the journey to the new world.
The decline of the very canal and the improving road infrastructure and advent of the railway outside the parish boundary to the north and south saw a dramatic decline in the profile of County Longford. the district retreated into what has become known as the "Hidden Ireland" over the last century. The emerging local improving tourism profiles, allied to the restoration of the very Royal Canal is now making the district a very attractive target area for the future.
Inny Aero Club
Chief Instructor: George Farrar
Secretary: Seamus O'Dea (O'Dea@tinet.ie)
Aero Club 2000
Chief instructor: Capt Angelo Cunningham
Secretary: Mr. John Logan (044-55266)
Details from the secretary: Mr Paul Holdroyd 044-57739
Details from the secretary: MrJohn O'Donnell.
Details from the secretary: Ms Edre Mills 044-57401
Details from the Irish Argentinian Society at: http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/argentina.html
Air Show Director: Mr. Mike Skelly 044-57646
Air Show Secretary: Mr Ted McGoey 044-57424 E-mail email@example.com
Details from Alan O'Leary, 9 Western Avenue, Phibsborough, Dublin 7. 01-8680586
Details from project
Abbeyshrule: Mr Gabriel McGoey. E-mail: tbsu:tinet.ie
Villingen/Schenningen: Ms Elizabeth Goetz: http://home.t-online.de/home/hjgoetz
On March 14th, the Longford Ploughing Championships are being held in Abbeyshrule. This popular event will come to a conclusion with a ploughmans dinner in the Rustic Inn. A treat for all traditional fiddlers will be a performance by Sean Maguire after the dinner. This should be a day not to be missed. See local papers for more details closer to the day.