medieval ardee

wm-small-en.jpg (3239 bytes)

| Home | Dundalk | Faughart | Carlingford | Ardee | Drogheda | People | Music |

ardee12.gif (16197 bytes)

ardeebig2.jpg (32711 bytes)

Ardee was given by King John to a Norman Knight, Gilbert De Pipard. It was he who built the Castle which is the last remaining fortified Castle in Ireland, in 1207. Both King James II and William of Orange stayed here prior to the Battle of the Boyne but, at seperate occasions. Edward Bruce sacked Ardee in 1315. This is the only part of County Louth that was planted by the English.

ardeebig3.jpg (29722 bytes)

 

 

| Home | Dundalk | Faughart | Carlingford | Ardee | Drogheda | People | Music |


 

This project has been worked on by the Transition Year students of St. Mary's College, Dundalk, Co. Louth, IRELAND. Feel free to email them at marist@iol.ie . Many thanks also to Mr. Hugh Smyth, of County Louth Historical Tours and the County Museum. Please visit his website at http://gofree.indigo.ie/~colouth.

smythlogo.gif (8717 bytes)

 

Thanks also to Py Bertha who kindly allowed us to use music from his website - please visit it.

ami02.gif (4045 bytes)

Some graphics also came from the Celtic Art Webpage.

cwa1.gif (6577 bytes)

 

Thank you for visiting our site, and please tell others about it.