History of Our School

barrack.gif (35794 bytes)

This is the last remaining part of the Richmond Barracks. Three classrooms and our Home School Community Liaison Room are located here.

line2.gif (1787 bytes)

St. Michael's was established in 1885 by the Christian Brothers in Goldenbridge which is on the other side of the parish. Times were hard then and people were poor and the only premises available to the Brothers was a dis-used Protestant Church. Inchicore at that time was dominated by a huge British Army Barracks known as Richmond Barracks. It was very much like what Collins Barracks is today. At the founding of the Free State in 1992, the Richmond Barracks was taken over by the Irish Army and re-named Keogh Barracks. In 1927 the Irish Army decided to close down Keogh Barracks. The buildings, mostly three storeys high, then came into the possession of Dublin Corporation who in turn used the soldiers' quarters as accommodation for Dublin Families on their housing list. At the same time the Christian Brothers purchased three buildings on the barracks site; the gym, the officers' mess and the library/reading rooms. The last two they fitted out as classrooms and in Sept. 1929 the first pupils took their places in their 'nearly new' school. In 1985 the school celebrated its centenary and in Oct. 1996 President Robinson visited the school. In March 1997 the school opened its first computer room and in May 1997 went worldwide on the internet.

line2.gif (1787 bytes)

school.jpg (22105 bytes)
Our school and some of our pupils at play.

The School Gym
Our school gym was one of the main buildings in Richmond Barracks. When the 1916 Rising ended the insurgents were arrested they were taken to Richmond Barracks in Inchicore. They were all marched into the gym and interrogated and detained there over-night. The gym was the place where all the sorting out was done. We have a written account of how they spent the night and descriptions of how they were treated. The names of the most prominent leaders are displayed on the walls around the building; Thomas Clarke, Padraic Pearse, Eamon Ceannt, Thomas McDonagh, James Connolly, Sean McDermott, Joseph Mary Plunkett, Liam T. Cosgrave, the Lemass brothers and many others. During recent work on the floor bullets, knives and battons were found.

Back to Home Page