The Christian brothers first arrived in Wexford on May 2nd 1849 and with the help of a local merchant Richard Devereux, they started a school in the Faythe which is now the school of the Sisters of. St John of God. Soon however the small classroom filled up and with the help of Mr Devereux they built an extention. In 1853 the school in Georges's St was given to the brothers to have lessons for boys from that side of town. On the first day its 192 places were filled immediatly and more than 80 boys had to turned away.
In 1874 Richard Devereux again helped the brothers and built a monastery for them at Boker where they reside to this day, then Mr Devereux built a school near the monastry where the boys from the Faythe were teasferrd. Secondary and primary education was provided in this building until 1939. The number of pupils increased and with the help of the Revd. Dr.Staunton, the clergy and the people of Wexford a new school was opened on Tuesday November 21st, 1949 with 600 pupils.
During the 1950s the old secondary school which was built in 1874 began to deteriorate. The building was renovated and expanded into a spacious modern secondary school. A further extention was built in the 1980's to cater for the ever expanding numbers and this extention was opened by Bishop Comiskey on the 9th of September, 1986.
The following information and pictures were taken from the Nicholas Furlong and John Hayes book County Wexford In The Rare Oul' Times Vol.3.
THE BOKER. The word is the Irish language suvivor through Viking, Norman, Flemish and English centuries. It is from An bothar, the road. It is situated on the main road from the south eastern baronies to the market place of Loch Garman (Wexford) at the Corn Market and Bullring. The building is of course the former and early extent of the Christian Brothers Schools in Wexford, both primary and secondary. It was built in 1874.
This is (we think) the Leaving Cert class of 1967 in Wexfoprd C.B.S. The array
of varied talents at that time about to explode upon the world is today
manifested in the identities. All have matured we insist, some to fame
unimaginable at the time but all are a credit to the Boker.
Seated: teachers William Sweetman, J. Cullen, Brother Spellecy, Brother Murphy, Martin Murphy and Sean Byrne.
Second row: Charlie Roche, Sean O'Leary, Eddie Fowler, Philip Quirke, Philip Kirwin, Pat Hearne, Eoin Murphy, Michael Browne, Tom Bent, Billy Roche, Tommy Meshill, Michael O'Keeffe, Sean Kielty and Robert Restick.
Third row: Neol Morris, Ray Martin, Antoin Murphy, Raymond Donoghue, James Murphy, Micheal Furlong, Tom Hendrick, Nick Sinnott, Peter Lambert, a face we cannot at the moment name, and Mylie Wickham.
Fourth row: Eddie McDonald, Nick Cowman, Edwad Hickey, Liam Bent, Patrick Terry, Dick Corish, Maurice Barrett, Brian Nolan, Derek Crosbie, Ger Cullen, Gerry Kielty, and another face we are not 100%certain of.
Back row: Tony Kelly, Donal Kavanagh, Fintan Farrell, Philip Molloy, Seamas Keheo, Gerry Cowman, Micheal Quinlivan, Joe Caufield, Micheal O'Brien and Jim Roice.
Three of the most famous C.B.S. Boker teachers are captured in this snap shot, very likely connected with the opening of new national schools in 1939. They are still remembered with affection by thousands. Thomas Cullimore, Myles Redmond and Martin Murphy. Tommy Cullimore became embroiled voluntarily Republican movement deemed subversive in wartime and neutral Ireland to the extent thet he was interned in the Curragh during theSecond World War. He later joined the staff of the Wexford Corporation. Myles Redmond and Martin Murphy continued teaching for several more decades.
Home | Our School
| History | Past Pupils
| LCVP | Policy | Enrolement | Bank