Wexford Town Coat of Arms. The Bullring Wexford. Wexford Corporation.
A Wexford Borough Council Project.
The Pikeman Wexford.
Home.

Theatre Royal Wexford.
Theatre Royal Wexford.

Theatre Royal Demolition - 2006
Theatre Royal Demolition.

Wexford Opera House.
Wexford Opera House.

Wexford Bridge.
Wexford Bridge.

The Bullring Wexford.
The Bullring.

Wexford Quays.
Wexford Quays.

Wind Farm Carnsore Point.
Wind Farm.

Talbot Hotel - Wexford
The Talbot Hotel

Wright Insurance Building.
Other Projects.




































































Back To Top
The Bullring Wexford.
Photo from the Lawrence Collection.
Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Ireland.
Copyright National Library of Ireland.

Oliver Sheppard's statue of the Pikeman in the Bullring Wexford was unveiled in 1905. When digging the foundations of the monument human remains were found. It was presumed they were the remains of victims of the Cromwellian massacre of October, 1649. The builders of the monument left them where the lay.

The Bullring - 1998.

The Bullring got its present name from the medieval sport of Bull-baiting. From 1621 until 1770, bulls were baited twice a year and their hides presented to the Mayor. During the 1798 rebellion, the Bullring became an open-air factory, making and repairing weapons for the insurgents.

The Bullring - 1998.

Nolan Stone Works & Memorials of Ardcavan Wexford were employed to remove the 'Pikeman' and dismantle the pedestal. The monument was then stored until the site was refurbished.

The Bullring - 1998.

The Bullring has been the venue of many political rallies and protests: Daniel O'Connell, Charles Stewart Parnell, John Redmond, James Larkin and Eamonn de Valera have addressed audiences there.

The Bullring - 1998.

The Main Drainage Contractor, Roadbridge Ltd., (formerly Mulcair's) commenced the work of transforming the Bullring with the addition of cobblestones, constructed granite seats, trees and widened footpaths.

The Bullring - 1998.

A ''Tree of Liberty", an oak, has been planted in the centre, behind the Pikeman. The limestone setts which sit on either side of the monument feature inscriptions relating to 1798 while bollards in the shape of cannonballs line the area.

The Bullring - 1998.

The re-construction of the Bullring was carried out as a 1798 bicentenary project. The new-look Bullring was officially opened by The President of Ireland, Mary McAleese on 31st May 1998

  • Roadbridge Ltd., Main Contractor
  • (formerly Messrs. Pat Mulcair)

TO LIMIT SPAM PLEASE KEY ADDRESS INTO YOUR EMAIL APPLICATION.
WEXTRANS LINKS

Site Created 29th April 2001.
Best Viewed 800 x 600
Updated 28th february 2007.
Version 6.00

All images on this site are the property of Wexford Transformed
unless otherwise stated.
© 2007.